Trainer's Notes on How to Care for Your Dog or Puppy
- Human Grade foods such as our Urban Wolf
- Healthy fresh supplements added (about 1/4 of daily ration). This could include fresh meat or cottage cheese or an egg or cooked veggies.
- Avoid junk food or unhealthy chews.
Grooming and Handling: Make sure your dog is:
- Comfortable being touched on feet, ears, tail and this is practiced daily.
- Comfortable with brushing/combing.
- Brushed frequently enough to prevent matting of the coat and the skin healthy (once per day "“ once per week depending on type of coat).
- Comfortable with ear cleaning.
- Ear cleaning or checking once per week.
- Comfortable with tooth brushing.
- Tooth brushing once per day.
- Comfortable with bathing.
- Bathing about once per month to two months.
Exercise and Play:
- A variety of dog toys that are rotated often to keep them interesting.
- At least 30 minutes of exercise with a person per day.
- At least 10 minutes of training per day.
For proper Socialization, make sure your dog is (do not force this, consult a trainer if your dog is uncomfortable with any of these people):
- Comfortable with male and female adults.
- Comfortable with male and female children.
- Comfortable with people in special circumstances (wheelchair, crutches, etc.).
To prevent possessiveness, test and practice the following:
- Touching his food bowl, toys or bed (using rewards and only if your dog is comfortable. Consult a trainer if your dog stiffens, growls or snaps when practicing this).
- Sharing the attention of his best friend
Car rides, make sure your dog is:
- Comfortable riding in the car.
- Properly restrained in car.
- At least 10 hrs good sleep in an adults bedroom.
- Visits vet regularly, has recommended vaccinations.
- Neutered or spayed.
- Proper weight.
- Not left outside or crated long hours.
- Less than 1 housetraining accident per week.
- No excess vaccinations or parasite treatments.